Notifications
Clear all

Changes to our Live Betting Tips service

Page 2 / 2

sitwi
(@sitwi)
White Belt

I'm really disappointed with this.

This wasn't the weekend to do it, when your advance picks went 1 for 7.

Where did your betting record go that was listed proudly on the front page?

What is "a one off payment every month"?

What about those who paid up front, in good faith, but whose terms have now changed with no notice? What they've paid for has changed immeasurably, unless they pay four times the price. That's holding people to ransom.

You've said the extra income will go toward "podcasts, video breakdowns and articles on bankroll management and the theories behind betting on MMA". But you've put pressure on yourself to deliver those immediately, because the price hike was immediate, and with no notice. What have the people who just paid $80 seen extra?

Great community, and as great a service you've provided in the past, I'm afraid you've let that same community down this time. I can't shake the idea that it's driven by greed. not your "influence on the market".

There are some excellent points made my others about how this affects those who bet small, and therefore have no influence on the market. Only those who bet large enough will be prepared to pay $80 a month, and those are the only market adjusters. Surely that's clear by now.

I hope you've properly thought this through. You won't be getting $80 a month from me, but losing my $20. I think there is room for you to reconsider and stick with the existing pricing model, without the huge amount of extra work you're looking to take on. Sorry.

ReplyQuote
Allsopp
(@mma)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Hey guys,

Reading this thread is kind of upsetting for me, so I just want to let everybody know where I'm coming from and then you will hopefully understand the reasons why I made this decision...

A few years ago I ran myself into the ground and got really sick. I was working 12 hour days, 7 days a week and basically burned myself out. It took me 3 months to recover and I swore I'd never let myself get in that state again.

Over the last two years the workload for this website has gradually grown to a stage where it's not manageable for one person anymore. I am back to square one. I work 7 days a week, 12 hours a day and I can feel myself getting sick again.

Doing the Live Betting Tips has a big impact on my personal life because I spend all week researching fights and writing breakdowns, then on Saturday I have to stay up all day, right through till 7am to do Live Betting [events don't end until 5am - 7am in the UK]. This means I am often up continuously for 20 hours on a Saturday, after working a 60 hour work week. Then, on Sunday I am totally wrecked and spend all day in bed trying to recover. I don't get to spend time with my son, I don't get to relax, I don't get to recharge my batteries.

I have been working for free on this website for the last 2 years and I can't continue doing it anymore. This isn't about greed, this isn't about me trying to get more money out of you guys. This is simply a case of me not physically being able to stay up until 7am doing Live Betting Tips almost every weekend, unless I can generate enough money from this website to hire some help, which will ease my workload throughout the week.

Every business has to make money to survive and right now this business doesn't make money. It may appear that we have lots of members, but most people are still paying the old $9.99 a month fee that we started with. After Paypal fees, taxes, web hosting and plugin licenses there's nothing left from that $9.99.

I tried to fix the problem by increasing the cost of subscriptions to $19.99 a month, but that hasn't worked. This is partly down to my ABYSMAL results this year and partly down to the fact that so much of my time is spent researching fights and writing breakdowns, that I don't have time to market the website and attract new members.

I thought that introducing an additional cost for Live Betting Tips would fix all of these problems...

It would generate enough cash for me to hire someone to help out on the website and it would also go a long way towards eliminating the problem we've seen in recent months where the odds get destroyed and the betting lines get suspended very soon after I give out a tip.

You have to remember that the line activity isn't only determined by money wagered... It's also determined by the amount of action coming in on a certain fighter. If we've suddenly got 40 - 50 people trying to bet on the same fighter, the Bookies Live Betting software is automatically going to suspend the line. It doesn't matter if you're betting £1 or £1000. A sudden surge of action is a big red flag for a bookie...

I personally feel like $79.99 is a very, very, very, very reasonable price to pay for the returns that I give you guys in Live Betting.

On average we have 3 UFC events per month, so on average you're only paying $27 for the Live Betting Tips. This is SUCH A SMALL AMOUNT OF MONEY for the returns you get in Live Betting. There is no other type of investment on earth that could give you the returns we see in Live Betting for such a small fee.

I am more than happy to re-adjust the cost of the Live Betting Tips to a price point that everybody is happy with, but I can't continue to work for free. It's not fair on me and it's not fair on you. My results this year have 100% been effected by the fact that I am so burned out and run down all the time. If I can hire some help, our results will improve across the board.

I only have 2 options right now because I can't continue to put in the hours I do... Either the website generates enough money for me to hire some help so that my workload becomes manageable... Or I don't do Live Betting Tips anymore and I spend the weekends relaxing like most other normal people do.

I hope you guys understand my situation right now. I know that this change has upset a lot of people, but businesses can't survive if they don't make money.

I am happy to work with everybody on a solution that is beneficial to everyone, but I can't work for free. Would you be prepared to work for free?

I need help guys and I am praying that the Live Betting Tips bring in enough cash for me to do that.

ReplyQuote
Allsopp
(@mma)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

[quote quote=29068]

Where did your betting record go that was listed proudly on the front page?

[/quote]

The website receives a huge spike in traffic for big events.

In recent big events the website has crashed, which meant that people struggled to access the website and chat rooms during the fights.

To stop this from happening I did a lot of maintenance last week to streamline the website and reduce the chances of it crashing. One of the changes involved cutting the homepage in half to speed up pageload speed when someone first visits the website. You'll notice that the forum and the results have gone. This has dramatically increased the pageload speed on the homepage.

I had to make a decision to remove either the results from the sidebar or the betting schedule. I chose to remove the results because they can still be found on our results page, whereas the betting schedule isn't present anywhere else on the website.

I've received feedback in the past that people like the MMA schedule on every page in the sidebar because they can easily see when I've added new tips as soon as they visit the website. If the majority would prefer I cut the schedule and put the results back, I'll do that.

I am currently rebuilding the homepage and I hope to have it ready for sometime in August. The results will feature prominently on the new look homepage. It is going to change dramatically.

ReplyQuote
sitwi
(@sitwi)
White Belt

Mate, I design websites for a living. Eliminating the results from your sidebar is like taking a grain of sand off the beach. I promise.

As far as your pricing, I sympathise with your schedule and the hours that you're putting in. I actually work longer. It does beg the question why you're now looking to start podcasts, videos and writing articles, though. Even if you get help, that is not reducing your hours. It's the opposite of that.

I'm not sure how you're currently working for free. I've been paying $20 a month.

So I'm left confused by your post, I'm afraid. Believe me, I'm trying to understand your position.

ReplyQuote
nikitagraves
(@nikitagraves)
Brown Belt

I would like to throw in a quick opinion.

I believe the price is fair. I pay for baseball tips, which is around $115 a WEEK, and that is not for livebetting.

I believe the prices here are actually very fair compared to other betting services.

At the same time, I can understand why it's a hard sell, because the record for this year is not encouraging, in fact for a new bettor it would be devastating to lose 50% of bankroll. Also, while the livebetting does have a great track record, it's not a service that works for everyone because, for example, I am in Canada and can only use Bet365, which does not do FIghtPass prelims, which is where some of the profitable tips have come in. And some people may have low limits on their live bet sites which makes livebetting a hard source of income, even on a winning night.
I think MMA betting is a small market now, and most of us have small bankrolls. I am only doing $100CAD per unit and while I was making profit all through march-may, the month of june really damaged me so its hard to justify paying for tips, even tho I still do.

So, I can see both sides, not sure I have an answer, I think the results for the year are a big sticking point, and the low bankrolls of most mma bettors.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

IMO the most important thing is to not work oneself into the ground.

And the second is spending time with loved ones, and living.

Work is a "necessary evil", meant to SERVE OUR LIVING, not the opposite.

Best wishes All !

ReplyQuote
Allsopp
(@mma)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

[quote quote=29073]Mate, I design websites for a living. Eliminating the results from your sidebar is like taking a grain of sand off the beach. I promise.

[/quote]

If you design websites for a living you should know that having a Forum on your homepage will massively increase the page load time.

The pageload time on this particular forum isn't great because I don't use the native bbPress profiles, so they have to pull all the user data that appears next to posts from a different plugin. This was having a big impact on the pageload time of my homepage.

When I removed the Forum, I also had to remove the content running parallel to it in the sidebar, which was the results. If I didn't do that, the page would've looked very imbalanced.

I have an issue on this website where I can't use caching plugins because it conflicts with the third party chat room software that I use. As a result, removing something like a Forum from a homepage had a big impact on page load times.

I'm currently designing a new homepage and like I said, the results will feature prominently on it.

I really appreciate you being apart of this community and I really appreciate your $20 a month, but we don't have enough members at the current price point to keep the website afloat. As a result, I increased the prices for the Live Betting Tips to help keep the lights on and the doors open.

I didn't think this would be such an issue because $79.99 is a very, very, very small price to pay for the amount of money you can make in Live Betting. By trimming the number of people following the Live tips, it also means the people who do pay extra for the Live Tips can make more money because the lines don't get suspended as fast and the odds do not get destroyed.

I hope that clears everything up. Our results have been bad this year, but they'll turn around soon enough. Like they always do. Take care mate. :good:

ReplyQuote
nikitagraves
(@nikitagraves)
Brown Belt

I have one idea that might work for people who hesitate to spend the extra.

Perhaps have a 'guarantee' price for individual events. If you dont land profit in that event, they get a credit for the next one. This is what picksandparlays.net does for their daily packages. A week subscription does not have a guarantee, but its cheaper.

It definitely worked for me. After having 3 days of profit I subscribed for the weekly. I realize that puts added pressure on Allsopp but I think it will bring in more subscribers. Just an idea.

ReplyQuote
gspgoat
(@gspgoat)
Blue Belt

Loved the live betting feature, only bet for fun so not interested in paying so much.

Have you thought of 2 live bet rooms - one premium one which receive instant lb tips, & another for normal subscribers but on a 20-30 second delay, with a minimum odds bet amount - gives the big spenders time to place their bets, and small fry like myself can occasionally grab some crumbs

ReplyQuote
Rumbleizer
(@doctor0c)
Brown Belt

I feel the people saying timing of these price increases is not ideal..

Im trying to help build a winning strategy but got blocked from the chat after giving my opinions after ufc 200. Its unbelievable, even if you tried, how can you get 6 out of 7 wrong, and so consistently.

Allsopp, your explanations start to sound really bad. There is always an excuse when something doesnt work or the results have been removed from the sidebar, pageload and design problem because of removing the forum from the homepage all sound like bs, once again.

You say you need extra income to afford to hire someone to help you out...

Whats going on Allsopp? You told me not to kick a down beaten opponent because you lost 20 000 dollars on ufc 200... If you follow your own tips, youve cut your bankroll in half this year, the tips have performed almost -50% this year. But anyways, that means your unit size is roughly 1000 $, making your bank roll 100 000. Thats super cool and im happy for you, but that also means you can afford an assistant right now if thats what you need. Saying you cant afford it unless you start to charge more sounds a bit contradictory to me.

If you want to justify raising the prices, prove yourself. I dont have a problem paying 20 bucks a month and i dont even need the live betting tips, but the explanations you are giving for stuff do not add up.

Also, I understand you blacklisted me from the chat because you are running a business and things I said might not be best for the business and im sorry about that, but I came here to be part of a community who beat the bookmakers and make a living out of that. Now I cant even exchange thoughts with people on the chat. I did not sign up to pay for tips that cut my bankroll in half in half a year. U can´t say nothing generates as a good return for the price of your services when by following them we actually loose money..

But I didnt hear a word from you, so Im going to have to cancel my membership as well. I want to change thoughts with others and not having the chat, I have no reason to stay as a member. I dont want to see your tips, Ive lost a lot of money and money making opportunities because of your analysis. Always sounds good, but never works out in reality. You´ve never done mma yourself so might explain why your tactics for each fighter so rarely seem to work out..

Your tips are late as usual and I cant even send you a private message about the tips or to talk about this issue in private, so Im sorry i have to do it here in front of everyone.

Get your shit together man. You started a great service but smells like you got greedy and things are spiralling downwards now..

You could still make the proper adjustments, but this all smells pretty bad right now..

ReplyQuote
Qwert
(@phil087)
White Belt

I definitely feel for you Allsopp, as I know you do this full time and have a family etc. and with this being your website you can obviously charge what you like - but it simply doesn't make sense to raise prices when it's currently an inferior product. If we were +50 units for the year I'm certain no one would have a problem with it, but when we've all wiped 50% off our bankroll, its a hard pill to swallow.

You mention the added cost will go towards podcasts etc but the time, effort and money that you put into that simply isn't going to get us any closer to making money betting on mma - these are things that shouldn't be a priority right now.

I think the timing of this wasn't great either, the day before the 3nights of events started - It seems like the price hike, combined with the results being removed from the homepage was simply to capitalise on new signups from people visiting the site from Google during the biggest weekend of the year for mma; I know you mentioned in the chat room during 200 that it was the biggest traffic the site has ever had, from people googling betting tips for mma.

Definitely appreciate everything you've put in to the site so far, and the hours you spend researching events, but it kind of feels like this is a big turning point for many people which is a huge shame.

ReplyQuote
mch31679
(@mch31679)
White Belt

I have to agree with what just about everyone else said. I'm in the USA and can't even take advantage of the live betting tips so I say just do
Away with them completely. If providing them is really
Making your life that miserable why the hell would you ever continue to do It. Life is short man, spend time with your wife and kid on the weekends because before you know it your kid will be moving out, then you'll be stuck wishing you had this time back. I'm really hoping the rest of this year your pre fight bet tips really turn around as I've lost more money the first half of this year then I ever had in my life based on your tips.

ReplyQuote
alagrini
(@alagrini)
Blue Belt

Listen. STFU or GTFO. Theres a business trying to be run here, if you dont understand that then dont speak. Down a few units lately? Where gambling here, suck it up. This is an awesome website and Allsopp is doing an excellent job IMO.

ReplyQuote
Qwert
(@phil087)
White Belt

[quote quote=29203]Listen. STFU or GTFO. Theres a business trying to be run here, if you dont understand that then dont speak. Down a few units lately? Where gambling here, suck it up. This is an awesome website and Allsopp is doing an excellent job IMO.

[/quote]

Such a bizarre response. No one is here to argue, this thread has had good input from people who support the change as well as good input from people that don't support the change, but your post falls into the category of neither; telling people to 'STFU' and 'don't speak' because you have a differing opinion contributes nothing.

ReplyQuote
Iamcloud
(@iamcloud)
Flyweight Champion

I have been here for a long time and have gained a ton of knowledge from this community. Very grateful for that.

I am sure people would work for almost nothing from this forum. A kind of mentorship program. Many here have technical skills to run a site for you. They would learn your system and you can spread the work.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: