RSS

Luj1
 Luj1
(@luj1)
White Belt
01/05/2019 7:40 pm  

Aiemann Zahabi

The Good:

On the feet Zahabi takes his time and stays patient, looking for opportunities to explode and get the clinch on the cage.

There he cage wrestles solidly, via underhooks / head pressure / clinch knees.

He usually just tries to muscle you down via bodylock which might not be the best choice. I haven't seen him drop for a single or double. He used this judo throw at regionals though.

We haven't seen him grapple much, but he is a Danaher black belt and has had some good transitions against Ramos.

In regional footage, he smothered guys with inferior BJJ, where his top pressure was tight and left little space to scramble, so I'd assume he definitely has an edge over Vince there.

The Bad: 

Zahabi isn't the most athletic guy. He is flat footed, slow and low volume. Despite winning his UFC debut, he was soundly outvolumed by Reginaldo Vieira. He also doesn't react well to pressure, perhaps because of his flat stance.

His defense isn't the best. He likes to stand in the phonebooth for better or worse, always leaning in, absorbing unnecessary shots.

Conclussion

+ pressure from center, picks his shots and stays technical
+ solid BJJ and top game, with good transitions

- flat footed, slow, low volume
- poor defense, careless in the pocket

Vince Morales

The Good:

Vince Morales has a narrow skillset for MMA but it's relatively well-polished. He is quick on his feet, with a slip & rip boxing style reminiscent of MJ.

He has good striking defense. When pressured he is quick to slip and pivot, then have his balance back perfectly.

Trapped on the cage, slips, pivots, then returns fire (!)

He packs a punch at almost any range, he was able to hurt Pillarte off the backfoot as well as when leading.

As someone who wrestled in highschool, he has a decent first-layer TDD.

The Bad:

Vince did freeze against Pillarte on the ground, who sliced through his guard in seconds. You could tell Vince panicked and just shelled up.

He makes some odd choices like a front headlock after hurting Pillarte.

Also, his getups aren't the most technical and leave some openings, reminiscently of Bryce Mitchell.

Here he goes for a heel hook and doesn't use it to scramble, losing an opportunity to get up. A clear sign of grappling inexperience.

Conclussion

+ slip & rip boxing, sharp and powerful
+ pivots, footwork, duck & exit

- blue belt, cannot trust him in transitions
- decent first layer TDD but ugly getups

Who is...

Who is the better striker on the outside? Morales
Who is the better striker in the pocket? Morales by far
Who is the better striker in the clinch? Probably Zahabi

Who is the better offensive wrestler? Zahabi
Who is the better defensive wrestler? I see no big advantage for either guy here, maybe even leaning Vince

Who is the better grappler? Zahabi, presumably by far

Prediction & plays

I like Vince to win. In my opinion, Zahabi will be at a huge speed deficit here. I expect him to give up on striking once he realizes how much faster Vince is. To me, Vince has a really good shot at sleeping Zahabi, but it's hard to nuke the ML at this stage because of the threat of him off his back.

I think the best play is FDGTD +175

I will also look for Morales' KO line. If you want to play Zahabi, play his Sub line. His ML is a very bad bet here value-wise, IMO.

This topic was modified 3 months ago 2 times by Luj1

Luj1
 Luj1
(@luj1)
White Belt
01/05/2019 8:01 pm  

It won't let me edit my post, so here are some finishing thoughts I forgot to add (in blue)

Prediction & plays

I like Vince to win. In my opinion, Zahabi will be at a huge speed deficit here. I expect him to give up on striking once he realizes how much faster Vince is. Then Aiemann will look to crash in on Vince and get his cage wrestling going, desirably leading into BJJ top control. At this point I'm expecting Vinces' pivots and defensive wrestling to hold up, because Aiemann is obviously not a wrestler, despite having good technical grappling and scrambling. He looks for trips & trows over doubles, and a good hip throw into side control might be his best chance of getting the fight to the ground.

To me, Vince has a really good shot at sleeping Zahabi, but it's hard to nuke the ML at this stage because of the threat of him off his back.

I think the best play is FDGTD +175

I will also look for Morales' KO line. If you want to play Zahabi, play his Sub line. His ML is a very bad bet here value-wise, IMO.

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register