Busick vs Newman

Notifications
Clear all

Busick vs Newman

Locospy
(@mlf5135)
White Belt Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys, just wanted to let everyone know it may be worth your time to research the Branko Busic vs Jordan Newman fight in Bellator this Friday. Newman is a huge favorite (-325 or 1.31) and Busick underdog (+250 or 3.5). While there isn't a ton of footage to watch on either guy the odds may be off here. While Jordan Newman is a Div 3 NCAA champion wrestler his standup game is basically non-existent and his MMA wrestling is not great and he showed really weak top pressure and also gassed bad in the 3rd against Joseph Holmes.

Branko Busick hasn't fought in about 2 years and is moving from heavyweight to middleweight. There is not much footage on him either. The one fight of his that stood out to me in terms of this matchup was his fight against Tyrell Fortune. While this was all the way back in 2017 and at heavyweight he showed really good takedown defense in that fight in terms of technique and physicality. His standup game is a bit little lacking but he looks worlds ahead of Jordan Newman in that department. He also looked gassed in the third but was eating huge knees to the body from Fortune (and a few to the groin) which could have added to it. The main issue I see with Busick is his long layoffs and moving from heavyweight to middleweight.

You can watch both of Jordan Newman's fights on the Bellator website (the Riley Miller fight is basically just Newman ground and pounding a jiu-jitsu player for 4 minutes). Busick vs Fortune is also available on the Bellator website and there are a few clips on YouTube, which really don't show much. In all it should take about 45 mins to research.

There are obviously a ton a question marks going into this fight I believe Busick as a 3.5 underdog is worth a small bet. Let me know what you guys think if you research the fight. Also let me know if you think in crazy for betting on Branko Busick in the first fight of the Bellator prelims!

RoidFC
(@roidfc)
Member Moderator

Hey Locospy, nice writeup.

ReplyQuote
Locospy
(@mlf5135)
White Belt Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Roid. Also just to clarify to that Busick's last fight was at Light heavy while all the previous were at Heavyweight where he weighed in pretty light (around 220). He also does have a background in wrestling, though not at the level of Newman. Also fun fact his father is an early 90's WWF wrestler "Big Bully Busick" if anyone knows who that is, I personally had no idea until I researched this fight.

ReplyQuote
frozenthrone
(@frozenthrone)
Purple Belt Member

nice write up mate, I'll have to check it out when i get chance

ReplyQuote
Locospy
(@mlf5135)
White Belt Member
Topic starter  

Busick's tdd was looking good until a slip halfway through the 1st round, from there he went on to look like a fighter who hasn't fought in 2 years. He gassed and got dominated on the ground for the rest of the fight. Newmans striking also looked much improved since the Holmes fight in 2019 which was a known possibility. Thanks for the comments though guys.

ReplyQuote
Share: